About the job
ASML US, including its affiliates and subsidiaries, bring together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers – the world’s leading chipmakers – to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United States including main offices in Chandler, Arizona, San Jose and San Diego, California, Wilton, Connecticut, and Hillsboro, Oregon.
As the world’s leading semiconductor equipment manufacturer, ASML enables chipmakers to produce cheaper, speedier chips – and to produce them faster – thereby enabling all the technology you use today. The systems we produce integrate several large and sophisticated machines, themselves each a feat of engineering innovation, precision, and speed.
In the Cymer Light Source (CLS) division in San Diego, we design and manufacture Deep Ultraviolet (DUV) lasers, used directly in the chipmaking process. Far from a basic “consumer” laser, these machines are complex, powerful, and flexible. The laser needs to minimize use of expensive or rare resources like energy or Neon gas. It needs to actively control temperatures, pressures, gas concentrations and voltages precisely to maintain good performance. It must react instantly to changing customer demands and environmental conditions. And it needs to do all of this, operating continuously and reliably for months while producing billions of perfect light pulses, without any human intervention or downtime.
Solving these challenges requires expertise in system engineering, optics, physics, controls, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, test engineering, embedded software and firmware, manufacturing, industrialization, and more. If you like extreme challenges and want to help bring the next generation of technology to the world, then come join ASML
In this position you will work in a team environment alongside local experienced engineers.The specific tasks will be tailored to match the education / experience level of the intern as well as the interns learning objectives for the summer.
This position may require access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R.
- 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require the Company to proceed with candidates who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
The project is to improve the DUV laser energy control algorithm. This current algorithm is complex and high performance, but increasing customer demands and Cymer’s dedication to continuous improvement require that the controller be updated to handle more corner cases and add higher performance features. In particular, the feed-forward (FF) elements of the controller are due for an upgrade. The FF isn’t a simple static gain, but instead is dynamic, adaptive, and subject to complicated coupling. It uses real-time laser signals and processes the data in unique ways. The intern will learn the current controller and related technologies, including known use cases and pathologies, conduct targeted experiments to gather, analyze, and process data, explore solution options, design new controller elements, simulate and test, document the work, and make recommendations.
The goal of the internship is for you to learn about working in a corporate setting and to provide hands on experience solving real world problems in a team environment.Interns will typically be required to document and present their findings as well as make an end of summer presentation to the group about what they achieved during their internship.
- Candidate must be studying for a Master’s or Ph.D. in the fields of Mechanical, Electrical, Aerospace Engineering or related fields. Must not be graduating in spring / summer of 2021.
- Knowledge of control design and signal processing (for example, filtering, system ID, correlations, power spectra, etc.),
- Must have good MATLAB skills.
- Ability to program in a modern compiled language such as C++ or Java.
- Must have experience and / or knowledge in data mining.
- Possess strong ownership characteristics and commitment to achieving results on time
- Have strong written and oral communication skills
- Be a demonstrated “team player” with a quality orientation and interpersonal skills
- Have strong problem solving skills and the ability to take initiative
- Willing to be “wrong” at times and be open to the ideas of others
- Can observe and respond to people and situations and interact with others encountered in the course of work.
- Can learn and apply new information or skills.
- Must be able to read and interpret data, information, and documents.
- Strong customer focus and commitment to customer satisfaction through prioritization, quality, efficiency and professionalism.
- Ability to complete assignments with attention to detail and high degree of accuracy.
- Result driven-demonstrate ownership and accountability.
- Work independently or as part of a team and follow through on assignments with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrate open, clear, concise and professional communication.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with co-workers and customer.
- Work according to a strict set of procedures within the provided timelines.
- Routinely required to sit; walk; talk; hear; use hands to keyboard, finger, handle, and feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, reach, and stretch. Occasionally required to move around the campus.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability