The New York Times
About the job
The New York Times is committed to producing the world’s most reliable and highest quality journalism. Our ability to do so relies on an experienced team of expert analysts who help NYT learn from a tremendous abundance of data unique to this company. The Times is looking for a Data Analytics Intern to join our growing Data and Insights Group (DIG), which includes data analytics, data science and data engineering for all New York Times offerings, including the newspaper and NYTimes.com.
The qualifications listed below are not requirements, but rather topics and attributes that candidates should be interested in exploring and developing. Please note that we encourage all interested candidates to apply even if they don’t meet the full list of qualifications below.
All applicants pursuing undergraduate/graduate studies who want to develop their analysis and computational skills are encouraged to apply. The intern program can be either fully or partially remote, with the optional choice to work in the office at 620 Eighth Avenue.
Please note that this internship is a paid, part-time opportunity.
Specific Projects Will Vary But Overall Responsibilities May Include
- Work with internal business and newsroom partners to understand their goals and opportunities.
- Use exploratory analysis to deeply understand The New York Times’s audience and their behavior across platforms.
- Use observation and analysis to recommend iterative improvements to The New York Times’s products.
- Partner with data analysts and product managers on the end-to-end process of test design, implementation and analysis.
- Democratize data through designing, building, and automating dashboards or other reporting tools.
- Influence your team at all levels of the organization to take action on business opportunities based on insights generated.
- Communicate and document findings and insights to your team across the company.
Preferred Qualifications and Interests
- Academic projects or professional experience in manipulating and analyzing datasets.
- An understanding of or interest in applying statistics, quantitative and/or qualitative research methods to business problems, market research, or academic inquiries.
- Experience in or willingness to learn SQL, Python, or other coding languages.
- Interest in media or media analytics.
- Commitment to The Times’s mission of delivering the world’s best and most reliable journalism. Desire to join the world’s most important journalism company at a moment in history when the importance of learning from our data is transforming every aspect of the craft and practice of journalism.
- Ability to communicate complex analyses to technical and non-technical audiences.
- An interest in data privacy and more generally in data ethics.
About Our Fall Internship
- This opportunity is paid.
- The program runs for 10 weeks, starting in September 2020.
- It can be completed either fully remote or per a hybrid model.
Benefits And Perks
- Interning at The New York Times is a unique opportunity to work at a historic and innovative global media organization dedicated to enhancing society by creating, collecting and distributing high-quality news and information.
- You will be helping to power, distribute and expand what is possible for our award-winning journalism.
- We have frequent panel discussions and talks by a wide variety of news makers and industry leaders.
- NYT interns benefit from competitive pay, great perks and influential networking.
Ie. This position has been created through a partnership with CUNY. Preference will be given to students of the City University of New York Network.