Website State Auto Insurance
It’s fun to work in a company where people truly BELIEVE in what they’re doing!
We’re committed to bringing passion and customer focus to the business.
Summary & Key Responsibilities
Are you looking for an opportunity to be courageous in doing the right thing, to show compassion to our customers, agents and associates, and to build community by helping to make State Auto a great place to work? Come join the State Auto EXPERIENCE!
State Auto Insurance Companies has an exciting 12 week paid summer actuarial internship located in Columbus, Ohio. The length of the internship is dependent upon class schedule, but will tentatively start on May 17, 2021 and end August 6, 2021. The intern will be assigned to one of our Actuarial Teams and assist with various projects, activities, and events within their department, and will have the opportunity to learn about many different functions of State Auto and insurance.
- Perform various rating, reserving, or risk management analyses.
- Assist actuaries in developing rate or reserve indications and evaluations.
- Develop knowledge of insurance coverages and actuarial techniques.
- Assist with other assigned projects and duties.
- Minimum 3.2 GPA or 3.0 GPA with active student leadership/community involvement.
- Willing to participate in a variety of projects and the ability to attend business meetings and community events, which will enrich the learning experience.
- Able to work a 37.5-hour work week.
- Minimum Experience / Education:
- Working to obtain a degree from an accredited four year college, with analytical studies in Actuarial Science, Math, Statistics, Engineering, Finance, Economics, or other related discipline.
- Completion of at least one exam in the SOA or CAS series of actuarial exams is preferred, but not required.
- Experience in Excel, Access, and Word are preferred. Experience with programming, SAS, or other advanced data extraction tools is a plus.
- No additional work experience is required.
NOTE: This position is not currently eligible for company work visa sponsorship.
- Loman Education Foundation offers a financial aid program for students interested in pursuing internship opportunities outside of their geographic location: http://www.cpcusociety.org/about-us/about-society/programs-charity/cpcu-loman-education-foundation
State Auto offers a competitive salary, an annual bonus program, an excellent benefit program including medical, dental, vision and prescription insurance coverage, life insurance, matching 401(k) plan, flexible spending accounts, tuition assistance, and a stock purchase plan.
State Auto is committed to the principal of equal employment opportunity for all associates and applicants and to providing associates with a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions (hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, training, and work assignments) are based on business needs, job requirements, and individual qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. State Auto will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.
State Auto is a smoke-free work environment. We utilize drug screening and background checks as conditions of employment. For all exempt positions, we also obtain motor vehicle reports (MVR s). State Auto will not accept candidates from third-party recruiters without a signed agreement with State Auto.
Full Time / Part Time
Full time Worker Sub-Type