Website Kaiser Permanente
Under the direct observation & guidance of a licensed Operating Engineer, performs a variety of routine or skilled preventive maintenance duties in the repair, alteration & modification of buildings, equipment & facilities.
- Upholds Kaiser Permanente’s Policies & Procedures, Principles of Responsibilities & applicable state, federal & local laws.
- The below tasks are performed under the direct observation and guidance of a licensed Operating Engineer.
- Inspects equipment & facilities for proper operation & working condition; maintains routine records & determines type & extent of any malfunction of equipment & as necessary; adjusts, disassembles & repairs or replaces parts or components, reassembles & tests for proper operation.
- Reports more serious problems to Operating Engineer and/or Chief Engineer for instructions or maintenance scheduling.
- May attend to gas fired steam boilers, hot water boilers & heaters; may make necessary adjustments to assure proper steam pressure, combustion, water flow, water level & proper operation of safety devices & auxiliary equipment.
- Tests boiler water & adds chemicals as necessary.
- May service & make repairs to heating, air conditioning & refrigeration equipment including fans, motors, radiators, thermostats, dampers & regulating controls; replaces filters & fluids as necessary & maintains routine records of repairs.
- Performs a variety of general semi-skilled to skilled maintenance, alteration & repairs to machinery, equipment or facilities as assigned or in accordance w/ basic skills & abilities; & standard procedures, diagrams or manufacturer instructions.
- Performs routine electrical maintenance, replacement or alteration of circuit wiring, switches, control equipment & mechanisms, motors, transformers, relays, generators, appliances, fixtures, alarms, communication equipment, etc.
- Performs general mechanical maintenance of hospital and clinic equipment, kitchen equipment, office machines & equipment, etc.
- Normally excludes specialized & highly technical x-ray & surgical equipment requiring specific training, experience & materials.
- Performs general plumbing maintenance – Maintain, repair & make alterations to steam, gas, water, air & sanitary plumbing pipes & fixtures.
- Bend, cut, ream & thread pipe, wipe joints, test joints & pipe systems for leaks.
- Repair leaks & clear drain stoppages.
- General welding – cutting, joining metals not requiring critical test tolerance or certification.
- Performs a variety of routine maintenance duties such as repair & assemble extension cords, replace fuses, fluorescent ballast’s & tubes, clean & lubricate motors & other machinery.
- Clean sink & grease traps, replace & re-pack valves, assemble equipment, repair drape pull mechanisms & related items.
- Performs a variety of routine manual duties as required, such as moving supplies, furniture, equipment, removing trash, scrap material & replacing light bulbs, etc.
- Establishes & maintains courteous, cooperative relations when interacting w/ other personnel, Health Plan members & the public.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- One (1) year experience w/ Kaiser Permanente in the engineering field operations (this requirement may be waived w/ agreement from Local 501).
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Completion of required apprentice test & acceptance into the state sponsored apprenticeship program.
- Valid California driver’s license.
- Basic skills w/ hand tools, motorized equipment, general maintenance.
- Repair skills w/ Electrical, HVAC, Plumbing & Boiler Systems preferred.
- Note: This information may vary by each Apprenticeship opportunity & in accordance with Local 501, candidate selected may be reclassified into an Apprentice Engineer if it is an internal transfer.