Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America’s workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
The Amtrak Police Department’s Office of Intelligence and Analysis is seeking a qualified intern whose primary responsibilities will be the gathering and analyzing of crime trend data collected from the agency’s Records Management System (RMS). This data will be utilized for predictive policing initiatives to include the APD’s “CompStat” program. CompStat is a multilayered dynamic approach to crime reduction, quality of life improvement, and personnel and resource management. The intern will work on a variety of projects with a strong focus on crime analysis. This is a year long internship, so candidates should be available from January 2021 to December 2021.
- Report writing, editing, and basic statistics.
- Apply research techniques.
- Collect, compile, analyze, and interpret data relative to crime trends.
- Identify problems and make recommendations.
- Deal with sensitive issues and confidential information.
- Assist other employees in technical and procedural activities.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with others, both internally and externally.
- Create reports periodically on an ad-hoc basis.
- Must be actively pursuing a degree at an accredited educational institution.
- Must be actively pursuing an undergraduate/graduate degree in Criminal Justice, Criminology, Intelligence Analyst, Data Analytics, or a related field from an accredited college or university.
- Must have at least 1 years of academic undergraduate studies completed or a sophomore status at minimum.
- Must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Available to work a minimum of 15 hours per week between the days/hours: Monday – Friday, 8am-5pm
- Available to work 20 hours per week.
- Ability to gather and array, process, and analyze data concerning a variety of issues and trends.
- Ability to analyze problems, create solutions, and motivate others to adopt effective courses of actions, and to stimulate and motivate individuals and groups to achieve desired goals.
- Ability to prepare studies and reports concerning complex matters and situations.
- Ability to establish rapport and maintain effective working relations with other department staff.
- Knowledge of software applications to compile and analyze data and prepare reports. (i.e. Microsoft Word, Excel)
- Preferred knowledge of SQL and Business Intelligence tools.
Requisition ID: 49001
Posting Location(s): District of Columbia
Job Family/Function: Safety & Security
Relocation Offered: No
Travel Requirements: None
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family, and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
We proudly support and encourage U.S. Veterans to apply for Amtrak job opportunities.
All positions require pre-employment background verification, medical review and pre-employment drug screen. Amtrak is committed to a safe and drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. All new hires are required to undergo a hair drug test which detects the presence of illegal drugs for months prior to testing. Marijuana, notwithstanding any statute, ordinance, regulation, or other law that legalizes or decriminalizes the use or possession of marijuana, whether for medical, recreational, or other use. Candidates who engage in the usage of marijuana will not be qualified for hire. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping Amtrak safe and drug-free.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR section 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety- sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, he/she will not permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability (including blindness), or veteran status.
POSTING NOTES: Safety & Security || Internships & Co-Ops