Website First Solar
Development Engineering Integration Intern (Fall 2020)
Our high growth and leadership position in the renewable energy business offers outstanding opportunities to individuals seeking an exciting work environment in one of the most important industries for the 21st century. First Solar is a leader in the development and manufacturing of thin film solar modules used in grid-connected solar power plants, as well as a provider of complete solar generation solutions for U.S. utilities. Our culture is one where teamwork, continuous improvement, achievement of results, and environmental responsibility are core values. We are seeking new associates who are motivated to contribute their talents to making cost-effective solar energy an important part of the world’s energy mix.
Primary Job Functions
First Solar is offering co-op/internship experiences to bright and talented students, with a passion for learning. The positions will allow students to gain a valuable blend of technical and business experience in the field of solar energy, and allow them to demonstrate their skills for future career opportunities at First Solar. A mentor will coach students through assignments that are designed to integrate classroom theory with practical work.
Expected Length Of Internship
Fall 2020 Semester
- As an internship company, we allow flexibility to enroll in classes while working as an intern, as long as it doesn’t interfere with the essential functions of the position.
- At least two semesters of chemistry lab classes
- MS office experience
- Basic level of object-based computer programming
- Pursing degree in chemical, electrical, or mechanical engineering
- First Solar encourages all interns to register their internship with their University.
- Ability to organize data and communicate it in an effective manner
- Self-directed. Broad instruction will be given on project, but detailed execution is needed from the applicant
- Ability to help with whatever task the group needs
Basic Internship Scope (Project)
- The applicant is expected to support the DE integration team with sample preparation for materials analysis testing. He/she will also assist with material preparation for ETAs
- The applicant will conduct etching studies of our back metal to determine a more robust method for TOF-SIMS sample preparation
- Upon the completion of this internship, the intern is required to present their accomplishments and project summary to the leadership team.
US Physical Requirements
Hybrid Physical Requirements:
- Will sit, stand or walk short distances for up to the entire duration of a shift.
- Will climb stairs on an occasional basis.
- Will lift up to 51 pounds on a seldom basis, according to work instruction.
- Will push or pull up to 27 pounds of force on an occasional basis.
- Required to use hands to grasp, lift, handle, carry or feel objects on a frequent basis.
- 20/40 vision in each eye, (with or without correction) and the ability to distinguish between red, yellow and green is required.
- Must be able to comply with all safety standards and procedures.
- May reach above shoulder heights and below the waist on a frequent basis.
- May stoop, kneel, or bend, on an occasional basis.
- Ability to wear personal protective equipment is required (including but not limited to; steel toed shoes, gloves, safety glasses, hearing protection, protective jacket or apron and arm guards).
- All associates working on the production floor may be required to wear a respirator at any given time and thus, the ability to wear a respirator is a condition of employment and continued employment (requires little or no facial hair).
Potential candidates will meet the education and experience requirements provided on the above job description and excel in completing the listed responsibilities for this role. All candidates receiving an offer of employment must successfully complete a background check band any other tests that may be required.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement: First Solar is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
Posted Today Full time REQ-007199
First Solar is a leading global manufacturer and provider of comprehensive photovoltaic (PV) systems using advanced thin film module and system technology.
With more than 20 gigawatts (GW) shipped worldwide, First Solar has a demonstrated history of financial stability and manufacturing success. First Solar has developed, financed, engineered, constructed, and operated some of the world’s largest and most successful PV power plants in existence.
We believe that clean affordable solar electricity is an essential part of the worldwide energy mix. Through determined innovation and a focus on large-scale development, we deliver solar energy that is an economically attractive alternative to fossil fuel-sourced electricity to fulfill our vision of leading the world’s sustainable energy future.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement: First Solar Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
Reliability Test & Measurement Engineering Intern (Fall 2020) | Perrysburg Facility
Manufacturing Engineering Finishing Intern (Fall 2020) | Perrysburg Facility
Controls Engineer Intern (Fall 2020) | Perrysburg Facility