Website General Dynamics
Job Posting End Date: 8/8/2020
Security Clearance: No Clearance
Interns will work with members of various engineering areas in support of ongoing and/or future shipbuilding programs. These activities will take place in Engineering in the following areas and degree program:
- Arrangements (Structural, Civil or Mechanical)
- Electrical Engineering (Electrical)
- Mechanical Engineering (Mechanical)
- Machinery (Mechanical)
- Structural Engineering (Structural, Civil or Mechanical)
This position will be part-time – averaging 20 hours/week, no more than 29 hrs/week.
Essential Functions And Duties
- Interns may be given the opportunity to review processes and documentation and participate in Process Improvement Teams.
- As an engineering intern at General Dynamics NASSCO you will be responsible for assisting naval architects and marine engineering with their current projects. These projects range from the initial design of future vessels to the final outfitting of nearly completed ships. In the execution of these projects you will be tasked with creating and modifying CAD drawings, performing research using both online and printed resources, and using a variety of software to perform stability and structural calculations.
- You will also accompany senior naval architects to support shipboard inspections and testing.
- Actively participates in implementing and monitoring continuous improvement initiatives to improve safety, improve quality, reduce cycle time, and reduce costs.
Reports to department manager/supervisor on a regular basis to monitor status of assigned projects. Interacts with SOC Managers, General Supervisors, Trade Supervisors, Ship Managers, Superintendents, Engineers, Planners, Safety representatives, customers, vendors and subcontractors.
Skills And Qualifications
- Junior or Senior majoring in Structural, Civil, Electrical or Mechanical
- GPA of 3.0 or above
- Must have experience using AutoCAD for 2D drafting.
- Must have completed a class in at least one of the following: Solid Mechanics, Structural Statics, Dynamics, or Strength of Materials
- Strong technical writing, presentation, and engineering analysis skills
- Required commitment Summer to end of year
- An interest and/or prior work experience in ship design, shipbuilding, construction management and manufacturing processes would be advantageous.
- General understanding of maritime industry operations is desired but not required.
- Proficiency in personal computer (PC) word processing, spreadsheets and graphics, as well as computer-aided design and engineering (CAD/CAE) systems, is desirable.
- Must have ability to express ideas in oral and written formats and demonstrate a high degree of personal flexibility.
Must be able to climb ladders and work in on-board shop and assembly production areas. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance, and peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. The employee is regularly required to sit, use hands to fingers, handle or feel objects, controls, and to talk and hear. Must be physically able to walk to all yard locations. The noise level in this environment is usually moderate.
General Dynamics NASSCO is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law.
To learn more about applicant rights under federal law, click here:
EEO is the Law Poster
EEO is the Law Supplement
If you have a disability that impacts your ability to complete the job application process and would like to request an accommodation, please contact our Human Resources Department.
Call (619) 544-8511 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. This contact information is for accommodation requests only, not to inquire about the status of applications.