Website Hexagon Bio
As an intern on the Fungal Genetics team, you’ll play a critical role in Hexagon Bio’s efforts to unlock the biosynthetic potential of the kingdom Fungi. Your primary contributions will include: culturing, documenting, and maintaining a diverse collection of fungi. You’ll oversee robotics aided high-throughput genomic DNA and RNA extractions, manage strain frozen stocks and activation and enhance the efficiency and quality of these processes. You’ll work closely with our Fungal Genetics team, Automation Engineers, and Software Engineers to develop methods vital to these tasks. You’ll need a high attention to detail and a strong grasp of the diversity of phenotypes and growth habits of filamentous fungi. This is an ideal position for someone with experience in an academic microbiology laboratory setting, managing large and diverse fungal collections and/or nucleic acid extractions from fungi.
This is an internship opportunity, with potential for transitioning into full-time employment.
- B.S. or higher in microbiology, plant pathology, or microbial ecology
- Available to commit to a minimum of 6 months
- 1+ years industry experience preferred
- Experience operating autoclaves, glass washers, pH meters and balances is required
- Prior experience with nucleic acid preparation is preferred
- Experience working with filamentous fungi and sterile technique is preferred
- Excellent attention to detail, strong communication and organizational skills required
- Basic understanding of data tracking using spreadsheets is required
- Ability to follow oral and/or written instructions
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, start-up environment and prioritize responsibilities
- Available to work in Menlo Park, California