Website The Zebra
The Zebra — named a Best Place to Work in Austin four years running — is looking for a self-motivated college student to serve as our PR Intern. You will work directly with the Public Relations Manager and be a part of the broader Marketing team.
You’ll gain invaluable experience in the following areas: media relations, writing press releases and pitches, building media lists, leadership shadowing, and learning how to work with a startup mentality.
The PR Internship provides an incredible opportunity to learn more about a career in public relations and communications and have a meaningful impact in the work of a rapidly growing insurtech company. The successful candidate will join our Austin-based team assisting the PR Manager with researching media targets, drafting award entries, brainstorming creative media angles, and more.
Parking is provided, as well as unlimited snacks and an in-house barista to fuel your work with free coffee on demand. Located in Austin’s East Side, we have one of the most beautiful, creative offices around! This role will remain remote until our office reopens.
What You’ll Do
- Scan the media landscape for earned media coverage and coverage opportunities
- Build media lists and find relevant journalists
- Conduct media outreach (pitching real journalists)
- Work on your writing by drafting press releases and pitches (excellent for your portfolio)Attend meetings and brainstorms
- Source speaking opportunities and award entry opportunities on behalf of the company
- Help identify and work with social media influencers
- Assist with PR analytics reports and analysis
REQUIREMENTS / QUALIFICATIONS:
- Pursuing a degree in PR, Marketing, Communications, or a related field from an accredited College or University
- Coachable with a willingness to learn and a commitment to excellence
- Superior written communication skills and reliability
- Ability to work in a team environment and have good vibes
- An interest in a career in PR
- Aren’t afraid to get your hands dirty to find creative solutions to problems
- Are comfortable taking direction as well as taking initiative
- Revel in being a self-starter and proactively seek out opportunities to learn and improve both yourself and the processes around you
- Previous agency internship preferred
- September-December 2020
- Time commitment will be 12 hours a week, $13/hr
- Opportunity to walk away with a repeat internship offer
BENEFITS + PERKS:
- Onsite Full Service Barista
- Wednesday Catered Lunch + Fully Stocked Fridges
- Opportunity to join Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) or drive our diversity & inclusion stance by creating your own
- Join a team that truly lives their values, and values their lives (outside of the office. Cliche, we know… but we really mean it)
ABOUT THE ZEBRA
The Zebra is the nation’s leading insurance search comparison site. With its dynamic, real-time quote comparison tool, drivers can identify insurance companies with the coverage, service level, and pricing to suit their unique needs. The Zebra compares more than 100 car insurance companies and provides licensed agent support and educational resources to ensure drivers are equipped to make the most informed decisions about their policies. It’s “insurance in black and white.”
Headquartered in Austin, Texas, The Zebra has garnered the attention and investment of some of the nation’s top venture capitalists, and the company’s success has been profiled in publications like Inc., Time, Forbes, and TechCrunch. Austin Business Journal named The Zebra a Best Place to Work in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2020. Austin American-Statesman awarded The Zebra as a Top Workplace in 2016, 2017 and 2018. Inc. Magazine also awarded The Zebra as Best Workplaces – 2018, 2019, 2020.
The Zebra is aiming to grow our fantastic team to add to our dynamic culture and continue building on our success. Working at The Zebra means never being bored, always being challenged, and supporting one another. We’re a happy, hardworking group, and we’re eager to add “new stripes” who share those values.
The Zebra is an equal opportunity employer and “at will” company.
As part of our dedication to maintaining an inclusive and diverse workforce, The Zebra provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, The Zebra complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The Zebra expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of The Zebra’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.