Website Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS)
The Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) is a non-profit, bipartisan public policy organization established in 1962 to provide strategic insights and practical policy solutions to decision makers concerned with global security and prosperity. Over the years, it has grown to be one of the largest organizations of its kind, with a staff of some 200 employees, including more than 120 analysts working to address the changing dynamics of international security across the globe.
CSIS seeks a research intern to support the Technology Policy Program. The Technology Policy Program conducts research on the social, economic, and security challenges created by emerging technologies to inform effective policy solutions and best practices. The Technology Policy Program is a leading voice on technology policy, partnering with the private sector and governments to provide pragmatic, data-driven analysis and recommendations written for a global audience. The Program’s research agenda includes cybersecurity; 5G networks and telecommunications; intelligence, surveillance, and privacy; data governance; artificial intelligence; emerging technology and innovation; and the political effect of the internet. Due to the fast-paced work environment, interns should be motivated self-starters that enjoy a wide variety of analytic and programmatic work.
Essential Functions Include
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assisting with monitoring developments in the technology policy arena;
- Assisting with ongoing research projects as needed in both the national and international arena;
- Collaborate with and support multiple staff members on different research projects including but not limited to international cybersecurity, facial recognition technology, artificial intelligence, privacy and data governance, 5th generation mobile telecommunications, and U.S.-China technological competition;
- Compiling research and data into literature reviews, summaries, backgrounders, and short publications to support the program’s research portfolio;
- Assisting with development and maintenance of research databases;
- Supporting events and other administrative tasks as necessary.
Knowledge, Education, And Experience
- Must hold bachelor’s degree or higher in a relevant field;
- Demonstrated interest technology policy issues;
- Research experience;
- Demonstrated ability to write clearly and concisely, particularly about technical concepts;
- Strong professional communication and interpersonal skills with colleagues and high-level stakeholders;
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple assignments under deadlines effectively;
- Demonstrated understanding of CSIS purpose and function, as well as a familiarity with the Technology Policy Program.
Physical Requirements And Work Conditions
The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Performances of duties require the use of hands and fingers to handle or feel. The job frequently requires ability to stand, walk, sit, reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.
How To Apply
Interested applicants should submit a resume, cover letter, college transcript, and writing sample of no more than 5 pages at https://csiscareers.silkroad.com.