Website Johnson & Johnson
At Johnson & Johnson, we use technology and the power of teamwork to discover new ways to prevent and overcome the world’s the most significant healthcare challenges. Our Corporate, Consumer Health, Medical Devices, and Pharmaceutical teams leverage data, real-world insights, and creative minds to make life-changing healthcare products and medicines. We’re disrupting outdated healthcare ecosystems and infusing them with transformative ideas to help people thrive throughout every stage of their lives. With a reach of more than a billion people every day, there’s no limit to the impact you can make here. Are you ready to reimagine healthcare?
Here, your career breakthroughs will change the future of health, in all the best ways. And you’ll change, too. You’ll be inspired, and you’ll inspire people across the world to change how they care for themselves and those they love. Amplify your impact. Join us!
Johnson & Johnson Consumer Inc., based in Skillman, N.J., is one of the world’s largest consumer health and personal care products company. Our consumer companies produce many of the world’s most trusted brands, among them JOHNSON’S® Baby, BAND-AID®, NEUTROGENA®, TYLENOL®, MOTRIN®, and LISTERINE®. Each one of our consumer businesses embraces innovative science to create products that anticipate consumer needs and create experiences that help them live healthy, vibrant lives.
Research & Development Internship Overview
This position for 2021 R&D Summer Internship is specifically for the Consumer Health sector of the business and located in Skillman, NJ or virtual/remote. Students in this role may participate in the product development, process design, fundamental research or and technical troubleshooting of consumer health products for regional and global markets.
Life as an R&D Summer Intern
The R&D Summer Intern program provides each student with real-life hands-on experience, coaching and mentoring, networking opportunities, as well as the opportunity to meet people from various schools throughout the country.
– The typical summer term is from May 24, 2021 – August 13, 2021. Some teams may offer an extended internship term
– The internship will be virtual/remote through the duration of the term
– Career mentorship is available with endless networking opportunities within assigned team and beyond
– Full time (40 hours per week)
We plan on hiring multiple students across several functional roles within Consumer Research & Development. Each student will be assigned to a single function with a specific project for the term, assignment area will be matched to business needs. Below are examples of the various functional roles for which positions may be available:
Formulation Science and Development: developing, testing, and scaling up new formulated products and ingredients (gels, emulsions, suspensions, creams, foams, lotions, cleansers, etc.)
– Relevant Experience: Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Material Science & Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Polymer Science, Biotechnology, Soft Matter Science, Food Science, Personal Care Science; formulation, chemical synthesis and analysis, wet chemistry, rheology, experience with polymers, surfactants, colloids, emulsions, and nanoparticles
Foundational Biology, Measurement Science and Product Efficacy Testing: utilizing biochemistry, optics and cell biology to develop and utilize new methods for testing product efficacy and new claim validation
– Relevant Experience: Biomedical Engineering, Microbiology, Biological Science, Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Medical Optics, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Neuroscience; method development, cell culturing, in-vitro and in-vivo methodologies, aseptic techniques, clinical testing
Consumer & Sensory Science, Clinical Testing, and Technology Development: interdisciplinary roles connecting various aspects of product science, consumer psychology and perception, computational analysis and modeling, data management, market research, etc.
– Relevant Experience: Computer Science, Behavioral Science, Psychology, Consumer Science, Neuroscience; consumer psychology, clinical research, image analysis, consumer products / personal care market research, programming, regulatory, technology entrepreneurship, toxicology, human factors and user experience
Package Engineering: developing and implementing packaging innovation and unique user experience, and developing supporting specifications, documentation, package line trials and package testing
– Relevant Experience: Packaging Science, Packaging Engineering, Materials Science, Engineering; package testing, package line trials, SolidWorks, 3D printing, knowledge of packaging materials
– Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the U.S. and must not require sponsorship for employment visa status now, or in the future (ex. H1-B, F-1)
– Candidate must be actively enrolled in an accredited University for the duration of assignment pursuing a Bachelor’s, Master’s or PhD degree
– Minimum GPA of 3.0 is required
– Ability to demonstrate strong analytical and quantitative skills is required
– Excellent communication, presentation, and leadership skills are preferred
– Proven leadership/participation with campus programs and/or community service activities is desired
– Engineering (Mechanical, Biomedical, Materials, Chemical, Packaging etc.)
– Science (Biology, Molecular Biology, Chemistry, etc)
– Consumer & Sensory Science, Food Science
Please note that most, but not all, Johnson & Johnson roles are currently virtual due to COVID-19. While locations/facilities have been aligned to our Internships and Co-Ops positions, assignments could be virtual due to the uncertainties of COVID-19.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.