NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory
New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world. That’s our focus at JPL. We ask the biggest questions, then search the universe for answers—literally. We build upon ideas that have guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire generations to come. Your mission—your opportunity—is to seek out the answers that bring us one step closer. If you’re driven to discover, create, and inspire something that lasts a lifetime and beyond, you’re ready for JPL.
Located in Pasadena, California, JPL has a campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
The Enterprise Business Information Services (EBIS) Division maintains stewardship over the ever-evolving Business IT portfolio of applications and systems required to support the Laboratory’s robust and complex business processes. EBIS manages the full systems lifecycle across all major business processes, provides technical services and support, and strategically partners with the Laboratory’s business community. Key organizational initiatives include a business intelligence program, data analytics, and adopting agile methodologies and tools.
This intern will have the opportunity to gain hands on experience and contribute in the following ways:
- Cataloging existing components being used in applications across the division.
- Understanding and utilizing research centered around the division’s development team practices in the building of components.
- Assisting in the development of individual components within the division’s design system.
- Moving components from individual projects to individual GitHub repositories.
- Documentation of individual components and how-to guides on usage.
- Helping to maintain and build out the storybook which will show documentation and usage of individual components.
- Knowledge or experience with human centered design process and practices including user research and usability testing.
- Hands-on experience with database standards and end user applications, desirable.
- Knowledge of data backup, recovery, security, integrity, SQL, query tuning, and profiling.
- Familiarity with database design, documentation and coding.
- Experience with DBA case tools (frontend/backend) and third-party tools, desirable.
- Familiarity with programming languages API.
- Problem solving skills and ability to think algorithmically.
- Preliminary knowledge of DevOps processes and practices like continuous integration and continuous deployment.
- Ability to look at existing code and determine what it is doing.
- Robust and disciplined approach to modern code development and testing practices including git version control and test-driven development.
- Good critical thinking and troubleshooting skills.
- A passion for emerging technology, inclusive design and web accessibility.
- Enrolled in a Bachelor degree program at a 4-year college or university majoring in Computer Science, Information Systems, or related subject.
- Have a minimum 3.0 out of a 4.0 cumulative GPA.
- Be available for full-time work for a minimum of 8 weeks.
- Should be returning to college for at least one semester/quarter in the fall of 2021.
JPL is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy or perceived pregnancy, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, protected military or veteran status or any other characteristic or condition protected by Federal, state or local law.
In addition, JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
EEO is the Law.
EEO is the Law Supplement
Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a federal facility. Due to rules imposed by NASA, JPL will not accept applications from citizens of designated countries or those born in a designated country unless they are Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S or have other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). The Designated Countries List is available here.
- Information Technology & Services
- Defense & Space
- Information Technology