Website SPX Transformer Solutions, Inc.
At SPX Transformer Solutions, we are committed to hiring the best and most talented people and providing them with the tools and opportunities necessary for them to not only excel at what they do every day, but also fuel their workplace passions and transform their careers. Mentoring, training and development activities by industry experts abound, while the nature of the business encourages cross-functional and interdepartmental learning, communication and teamwork that lead to continuous improvement in all areas. Desired competencies include self-motivation, creative problem-solving, compulsion to make a difference and the ability to work well with others in a challenging, fast-paced environment.
This assignment will begin in the Spring of 2021 and will be responsible for performing entry level programming for the electrical design engineering activities. As such, this role is a hybrid internship in the areas of Electrical Design and Programming. This role will learn basic transformer principles, work on similar designs, complete projects to improve accuracy of design programs and understanding product flow. There is a strong focus on the design process incorporating all stages of the project. This intern will also be developing standard practices for the product design and incorporating these practices into computer automated design processes. The individual will need good technical writing skills that will be applied by developing and maintaining design practices prior to incorporating these practices into computer programs.
Principle Duties And Responsibilities
- Collaborate with the design engineering team to identify defects in the design process
- Document technology in design practices
- Incorporate technology into computer programs
- Participate in product electrical design work
- Develop and recommends solutions to complex designs in order to manage and control risks to an acceptable level.
- Prepare presentation demonstrating basic transformer knowledge
- Complete design engineering projects as necessary
- Create simple transformer design
- Complete design program verification project
- Observe a formal design review
- Ascertain the basic manufacturing flow of the product
- Work on similar designs
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Must have good communication skills – oral and written
- Good computer skills, i.e. Microsoft Office, programming
- Strong understanding of Electrical Engineering concepts
- Ability to work independently or on a team
Required Education / Experience
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Pursuing a B.S. Degree in Engineering or Computer Engineering
- Completed at least 2 courses in high level programming such as C, C++, VB.NET, JAVA
Preferred Education / Experience
- Technical writing course(s) completed
- Completion of entry level Power Systems course and electric and magnetic fields
SPX Transformer Solutions, Inc. (formerly Waukesha Electric Systems, Inc), is one of the largest U.S. manufacturers of power transformers and a valued supplier of complete transformer service solutions, components and replacement parts as well as a variety of substation-applicable training classes for all skill levels including a large number of comprehensive LTC maintenance courses. We employ approximately 1,200 people throughout the United States and operate manufacturing facilities at our headquarters location in Waukesha, WI as well as Goldsboro, NC and Dallas, TX.
SPX is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, or any other reason prohibited by applicable law.
Thank you for your interest in our company.