Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America’s workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
Summary Of Duties
Have a passion for planning and policy issues for Amtrak’s Northeast Corridor? As an intern in Amtrak’s Northeast Corridor Service Line (NECSL), you will learn about and make a meaningful impact on the Northeast Corridor, the busiest railroad in North America, which sees over 2,200 trains daily. You will work in the Commercial, Northeast Corridor Service Line department, utilizing your Bachelor’s degree in Business or Transportation Planning from an accredited university. You will have the opportunity to apply your academic background in both the office and field, and to gain firsthand field related work experience in the various aspects of complex Northeast Corridor planning and policy issues. Individuals in this role use transportation knowledge and analytical skills to support assigned projects, including:
- Support research, reporting, and analysis efforts
- Design and develop proposals to improve the customer experience on the Northeast Corridor
- Support, as needed, the NEC Service Line PMO for the Next Generation Acela high speed trainset program, including Workforce Readiness and other cross-departmental aspects, activities, and processes
Work with team members and subject matter experts to coordinate efforts on assigned projects
- Attend office meetings, field meetings, and conference calls
- Research, collect and analyze data
- Communicate effectively and professionally with management
- Assist in providing administrative/logistical support, training support, start-up activities and tracking, and other commercialization activities as needed with the Acela 21 program.
- Become familiar with Transportation safety standards, work procedures, and operating practices in order to perform informed analysis and recommendations.
- Other specific work assignments may be determined based on the needs of project and program assigned to.
This position begins in May of 2021
- Must be actively pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree within Business, Transportation Planning, Urban Planning, Engineering, or Marketing at an accredited educational institution
- Must have at least 1 year of academic undergraduate studies completed or a sophomore status at minimum;
- Must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Specific interest or desire to work in the railroad industry.
- Experience in Microsoft Office software suite, including Excel, Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint
- Experience manipulating, cleansing, and analyzing data
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Must be highly organized and have the ability to work productively, be detailed oriented, maintain high level of confidentiality and work with tight deadlines.
- Preference for student with senior status at minimum or pursuing a graduate degree
Requisition ID: 48921
Posting Location(s): District of Columbia
Job Family/Function: Research & Strategy
Relocation Offered: No
Travel Requirements: None
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family, and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
We proudly support and encourage U.S. Veterans to apply for Amtrak job opportunities.
All positions require pre-employment background verification, medical review and pre-employment drug screen. Amtrak is committed to a safe and drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. All new hires are required to undergo a hair drug test which detects the presence of illegal drugs for months prior to testing. Marijuana, notwithstanding any statute, ordinance, regulation, or other law that legalizes or decriminalizes the use or possession of marijuana, whether for medical, recreational, or other use. Candidates who engage in the usage of marijuana will not be qualified for hire. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping Amtrak safe and drug-free.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR section 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety- sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, he/she will not permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability (including blindness), or veteran status.
POSTING NOTES: Research & Strategy || Internships & Co-Ops