Website Freedom House
Freedom House is an independent watchdog organization dedicated to the expansion of freedom and democracy around the world. We analyze the challenges to freedom, advocate for greater political rights and civil liberties, and support frontline activists to defend human rights and promote democratic change. We advocate for U.S. leadership and collaboration with like-minded governments to vigorously oppose dictators and oppression. We amplify the voices of those struggling for freedom in repressive societies and counter authoritarian efforts to weaken international scrutiny of their regimes. Founded in 1941, Freedom House was the first American organization to champion the advancement of freedom globally.
The Fall Research & Analysis Intern will assist with the research and production of annual reports produced in the New York office: Freedom in the World, Freedom on the Net, Freedom and the Media, and Nations in Transit. This position is remote. This internship requires a twelve-week commitment during the Fall of 2020 and is designed for individuals currently enrolled in an academic institution. A modest monthly stipend will be provided.
Interns are fully integrated into the operations of the Research & Analysis team; they attend internal and external meetings and have opportunities for small-group and one-on-one discussion with staff members at all levels. Our program offers a personalized experience based on research team needs and individual preferences, helping you to reach your professional development goals. Mentoring and feedback are consistently provided throughout the term to promote continued development.
The internship will begin in September 2020. Interviews will take place in early-mid August, via Zoom.
- Must be enrolled in an accredited college or university and be able to receive academic credit or fulfill an academic requirement
- Background or interest in international affairs, political science, human rights
- Experience conducting intensive online research
- Ability to communicate effectively in English, both orally and in writing; foreign language skills a plus
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail and accuracy, and ability to appropriately prioritize tasks
- Ability to work independently under minimal supervision
- Ability and desire to ask thoughtful questions
- Positive attitude, strong personal motivation, and willingness to learn
- Ability to maintain the highest degree of confidentiality regarding all aspects of work at all times
- Familiarity with Freedom House publications
- Graphic design experience is welcomed
- Graduate school experience may be necessary for the level of research needed
Some Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct online research on topics relevant to Freedom House publications
- Prepare concise summaries of materials gathered through research
- Fact-check, edit, and proofread documents for internal and external purposes
- Assist with the development of presentation materials
- Assist with other administrative activities such as data entry and publishing content to the Freedom House website
- Assist with the preparation of offsite meetings
- Propose and research articles for Freedom House’s blog
- Administrative duties and responsibilities as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Work will be done remotely, and in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Qualified and Interested Applicants
We invite qualified candidates to complete an online application. Please upload a resume AND cover letter as separate PDF attachments. Candidates who fail to submit either document will not be considered. Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted. Interviews will begin in early August.
Diversity and Inclusion
Freedom House is committed to recruiting a diverse cohort of interns. We strongly encourage applicants from all cultures, races, educational backgrounds, life experiences, socio-economic classes, sexual orientations, age, gender, and physical abilities to apply.
Freedom House is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, or protected veteran status, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.
This job description is only a summary of the typical functions of the job. It is not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks and duties. The responsibilities, tasks, and duties of the jobholder may differ from those outlined in the job description and that other duties, as assigned, may be part of the job. Freedom House may add, change, or remove essential and other duties at any time.